Education is a unique investment and accountability is possible only through a well planned mechanism of assessment with reference to its objectives. Examination in 'its traditional sense has failed to achieve the objectives of education. Introduction of the Scheme of Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation is, therefore, the only alternative to de-emphasis the system of external examinations.
The Scheme has been introduced effectively in all the JNVs since 1989-90 with the following objectives :
- To make evaluation an integral part of teaching learning process.
- To use evaluation for improvement of students achievement and teaching learning strategies on the basis of regular diagnosis followed by remedial instructions.
- To make a sound judgment and to plan timely strategies on the basis of regular diagnosis followed by the remedial instructions.
- To facilitate sound judgment and to take timely decisions about the learner, learning process and the learning environment.
- To maintain desired standard for performance using evaluation as a quality control device.
- To provide scope for self-evaluation by teachers and students. Special training has been provided to the Principals and teachers to ensure maintenance of CCE records in proper order.